Congestion in the Hallway

Damon Linville

Congested hallways can make it difficult to get around.

Aubree Howard-Brown, Staff Reporter

The start of the 2016-2017 school year at Cabell Midland High school has been described as chaos in terms of hallway traffic by the student body. With the enormous incoming freshman class, the crowding of the intersections and the new food carts in the hallways, some students have never felt more hectic.
For now, the arrival of the class of 2020 has substantially changed the flow of traffic in the hallways.
“I think the freshman have definitely caused the traffic to be way more crammed,” said sophomore Teagan Kauffer. “I’ve never seen the hallways this crowded.”
Despite what upperclassmen may think, every freshman class jams the hallway in the beginning of the year.
“The congestion in the hallway is always a problem,” said Assistant Principal John Hayes. “In the beginning of the year everyone is trying to figure out their schedule.”
Food carts have attracted an individual crowd to each cart causing the traffic to come to a halt between lunches and in the mornings. Although some carts have been relocated, the traffic is still persistent.
“The carts have added more congestion due to the fact that there’s no start and stop,” said Assistant Principal, Matt Adkins. “But you just got to keep them moving.”
Unlike many, Adkins has not experienced any traumatic events in the hallways. “I have personally experienced multiple traumatic events,” said sophomore Trinity Casto. “Being trampled by the stampede of students, being accidentally hit by heavy book bags, and tripping over young love. Getting your heels stomped on is the worst.”
The buildup of traffic has been known to cause long term affects such as anxiety and stress.
“The buildup makes me really anxious,” said Casto. “It makes me more stressed for my classes which in the long run could affect my grades.”
The anxiety and stress has been a common after effect of the traumatic hallways which has affected stress levels and also tardiness.
“The tardiness is for sure a problem with the traffic,” said Casto. “I find myself rushing to class constantly.”
The tardy slips have calmed down since years prior but they are still prevalent.
“I feel like I am always either late or rushed,” said Kauffer. “I hate being late but sometimes you just can’t help it with all of the factors involved.”
In the later months of the 2016-2017 year, the students and staff of Cabell Midland hope to find an alternative to the ongoing problem of hallway traffic.