Students explain summer jobs

Guyan Golf and Country Club has provided summer jobs to Midland students in the past.

Huntington Quarterly

Hunter Wheeler, Section Editor

Getting a summer job is a common factor in many high school students’ lives. Rather it be life guarding at the local pool, or working for a family member, summer jobs are an easy way for students to save money and not conflict with their education.
Junior Delaney Briers worked at Timberlake Community pool this summer, as a life guard, helping to protect the lives of swimmers, as well as maintaining the pool and its surroundings.
“It is a relatively easy job,” Briers said. “I sit and watch the swimmers and make sure the pool deck is clean and presentable.”
Briers later said that she plans to work at the pool next year and hopes that more of her friends will work there with her.
Guyan Golf and Country Club is a popular place for teenagers to work, rather it be the cart room or down by the pool, working as a life guard or a pool grill attendant.
Junior and golf state champion Andy Michael works alongside several of his friends at Guyan Golf and Country Club as a cart room attendant.
“I have been working at The Club since late March,” said Michael. “The job is a lot of fun; you get to meet all kinds of new people who enjoy golfing just as much as I do.”
Michael later spoke of what exactly being a golf room attendant consists of, saying, “I clean and maintain carts, as well as manage the golf bag room and help maintain the golfing range.”
Many other summer job destinations that are popular among teenagers include the Huntington Mall, Kennedy Center and Orange leaf, and students have had an increasing interest in them, because not only do summer jobs put money in teenagers’ pockets, they also create a sense of responsibility.
“Having a summer job has helped me build character as well as learn how to properly manage money and help me become more of a social person,” said senior Megan McKinney.
Rather it be working for your family, or just an easy job somewhere nearby, summer jobs are a great way for teenagers to make spending money, manage and save money properly and meet new people/have new experiences.