Cabell Midland’s golf team wins another state championship

Noah Mullens

Members of the Cabell Midland golf team pose with their first place medals.

Nick Blevins, Assistant Editor

Cabell Midland’s golf team proved their greatness once again this year, winning the state championship for the second year in a row.

The Knights completed another successful trip to Wheeling Park in early October, after last year winning their first state title since 2000.

“It’s a great feeling to win twice now,” said senior golfer Noah Mullens. “The team worked hard all season and it really paid off in the end.”

Midland began its quest for another title on Oct. 4 and fended off multiple schools to retain the championship.

“Everything came together, and we were playing some really good golf,” said senior Zach Chapman. “It’s great to go out as back to back champions.”

The team returned three players from last year, with Andy Michael rounding out the trio. The Knights also added a new face to the team, with Josef Dransfeld transferring from St. Joe.

“It’s been a dream for a coach,” golf coach Matt Stead said in an interview with The Herald Dispatch. “We had some close calls and got things worked out.”

The Midland golf team won the match by a total of 25 points, a much larger margin of victory than last year.

The second place team, George Washington High School, gave the Knights some competition, but ultimately failed to execute down the stretch.

“The rest of the field played well,” said Mullens. “We’re very honored that we were able to hit the ball well and put the ball in the hole.”

The Cabell Midland golf team remains the pride of the school for another year, and will look to complete the three-peat next year.

“I think that they will be able to win the championship again next year,” said Chapman. “We will all be watching and hopefully they pull it off.”

The Knights, in the meantime, will celebrate their second consecutive West Virginia AAA State Championship.