Juniors plan to honor late classmate and friend Stephen Woolums with class colors

Many juniors agree that their class colors for next year should honor their friend and fellow student Stephen Woolums.

www.bordaslaw.com

Tatum True, Section Editor

The class of 2018 is already planning their senior colors. In the wake of the late Stephen Woolums, the juniors are thinking ahead and deciding on their choice of senior colors, purple and teal. Rising senior Olivia Johnson suggested the idea, and her peers are in love with the idea.
“This is a good idea because it truly is a great way for our class to remember our fellow classmate and friend, Stephen Woolums.” said Johnson. “I hope that everyone else will agree to choose these colors.”
Stephen was a member of the class of 2018, and passed away in November. His family and friends created the motto “pain to power” to encourage others not to remember Stephen in a melancholy manner, rather a happy one.
Suicide is real and Cabell Midland students realized it can happen right in their own community.
“Stephen truly changed the way I look at my life.” said junior Kaylee Johnson. “I ran with Stephen and loved being around him.”
The colors, purple and teal, are the colors to represent suicide awareness. The Woolums family changed their entire perspective on Stephen’s passing and decided to turn the “pain to power” and strive to encourage people to be more willing to speak about suicide to their peers.
Noticing the signs of suicide is important, but it is important to realize that not everyone shows signs. If you or someone you know is suicidal, encourage them to speak to someone about it. The suicide hotline is 1-800-273-8255.