The Marshall Artists Series offers another opportunity to expand cultural horizons through film

impawards.com

This emotional film details the struggles and harsh treatment of immigrants.

Jesten Richardson, Editor-in-Chief

The Marshall Artists Series, in partnership with the Keith-Albee, is offering students an opportunity to expand their cultural horizons this weekend with six films from six different countries. Each film will have an $8 admissions fee and occur on either Thursday, March 2; Friday, March 3; Saturday March 4; or Sunday, March 5. The films that will be available this weekend are listed below, along with each film’s country of origin, language(s), length, description and show times.

Movie title: “Dheepan”
Country of origin: France
Language(s): French with English subtitles
Length: 1hr. 55 mins.
Description: In the midst of a civil war in Sri Lanka, a Tamil soldier, a woman and a child pose as a family in order to flee their dangerous country. The trio escapes to France, only to discover that violence is no stranger to the streets of Paris either. This tour-de-force thriller paints a picture of the immigrant experience, and shows the power of circumstance on our lives, by chronicling the journey of a group of brave humans.
Show times: Friday, 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, 7:35 p.m.

Movie title: “Truman”
Country of origin: Spain/Argentina
Language(s): Spanish with English subtitles
Length: 1 hr. 48 mins.
Description: Julian, a man who has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer, is surprised when he receives an unexpected visit from childhood friend Tomas. Together, they rekindle their old friendship, make plans and memories and discuss the fate of Truman, Julian’s furry pal.
Show times: Friday, 5:30 p.m.; Sunday, 5:30 p.m.

Movie title: “Sweet Bean”
Country of origin: Japan
Language(s): Japanese with English subtitles
Length: 1hr. 53 mins.
Description: In this film, a man who runs a small bakery learns that there is more to people than what meets the eye when a little old woman with supreme baking talent offers to help him in the kitchen. Sentaro is skeptical of the woman at first, but as he spends more time with her, he is able to finally open up his secretive heart and achieve success with the dorayakis—pastries filled with sweet red bean paste—that they make together.
Show times: Thursday, 7:35 p.m.; Sunday, 12:30 p.m.

Movie title: “Lo and Behold: Reveries of the Connected World”
Country of origin: U.S.A.
Language(s): English
Length: 1hr. 38 mins.
Description: This documentary follows the life of the Internet, examines its effect on the human race and wrestles with questions regarding its future. The film also includes strong opinions from multiple sides and serves to help people make informed choices on what the Internet has done/will do in the future.
Show times:  Saturday, 2:45 p.m.; Sunday, 7:30 p.m.

Movie title: “The Second Mother”
Country of origin: Brazil
Language(s): Portugese with English subtitles
Length: 1hr. 54 mins.
Description: Live-in housekeeper Val has few complaints with her life and is content to be cook, maid and surrogate mother for her bosses’ teenage son. The real trouble starts when Val’s estranged daughter Jessica suddenly appears and immediately starts to show her discontentment with the class system that defines both her mother’s life and her own. Jessica, with her lively spirit and unashamed honesty, may be just the change that this family needs.
Show times: Thursday, 5:30 p.m.; Saturday 5:30 p.m.

Movie title: “The Dark Horse”
Country of origin: New Zealand
Language(s): English
Length: 2hrs. 4 mins.
Description: Based on the true story of a Maori speed-chess champion, struggling to overcome his battle with bipolar disorder, this movie tells the story of a passionate individual, named Genesis ‘Gen’ Potini, that rose from the rubble and showed that even the broken have potential to make something great, that it’s never too late to repair your life and that one man can make a big difference in the lives of others.
Show times: Saturday, 12:30 p.m.; Sunday, 2:30 p.m.