March Softball Recap

The team congratulates junior Ginny Hardin on her homerun.

Charity Kelley

Ginny Hardin, Staff Reporter

The Knight’s softball team held tryouts Feb. 27 and officially began practice on Feb 29. To prepare for the season the team had two scrimmages- one against Herbert Hoover and one against Wayne. Both scrimmages helped narrow down the starting varsity line up and were crucial to the beginning of the season.

The season opener was against Lincoln County on March 16. The game was tight until an explosive third inning. The Knights ended up winning 11-1.

The softball team had a busy spring break with five games over the week. The first away game of the season took place on March 20 at Parkersburg. The Knights had another mercy rule win with a score of 12-2.      The team took on St. Albans on March 21. After the first two innings it was a close 1-0 game. The Knights broke loose in the following three innings to produce another mercy rule victory, beating the Dragons 8-0.

On March 23 the team faced reigning back-to-back state champions, Hurricane. The game was held to a two run game going into the fifth inning. The wheels fell off and Hurricane exploded for eight runs in one inning. Cabell Midland ended up getting beat 10-0, facing their first defeat of the season.

On March 24 South Charleston visited the Castle. The Knights bounced back from their failure and delivered another run rule victory of 8-0.

“I’m proud of the girls for not giving up after a tough loss,” coach Jeanne Lunsford said. “It’s early in the season and easy to give up after a setback, but they didn’t quit.”

Cabell Midland traveled on March 25 to face George Washington High School. Three runs in the first inning won the game for the Knights. They played their first seven inning game of the season, narrowly defeating the Patriots 3-1.

The game scheduled for March 28 against Huntington was cancelled and rescheduled for April 13. On March 30 the team traveled to Hurricane. It was a 1-1 ball game until the fifth inning. The Knights came up short, losing 5-1 in seven innings.

The softball team finished March 5-2, both losses being against Hurricane. The team has sixteen games in April, including five home games. Come out and support your Lady Knights!