Midland’s Marching Knights are recognized at special event in Charleston

The Marching Knights were recognized on the Senate floor, in Charleston, March 29.

The Herald-Dispatch

The Herald-Dispatch

Jesten Richardson, Editor-in-Chief

Wednesday, March 29, the senators of the West Virginia state government held an event where they named the annual West Virginia Marching Band Invitational the official marching band competition of the state and recognized Midland’s Marching Knights as the five time champions of the competition.
This event took place in Charleston, in the Senate Chamber of the Capitol building, and band director Tim James, along with several representatives of the Marching Knights attended the event on behalf of the band.
According to James, the Marching Knights played a role in the ceremony.
“We took the five state trophies we have won from the competition,” said James. “Two band kids each carried them, and we presented them to the senators for acknowledgment.”
According to band member and sophomore David Gudjonsson, the band representatives wore the new uniforms that were purchased this marching season to the event, and in addition to receiving special recognition, they had the unique opportunity to shake hands with the men and women who create and determine the focus of their state legislation.
“It felt great,” said Gudjonsson. “I felt very proud of myself and the band as a whole.”
Senior Ralph May, who also attended the event, had a similar reaction to the recognition the band received.
“When a congressman came to shake my hand and congratulate me, I had to do a double take,” said May. “That usually does not happen. With band there is not usually a lot of personal recognition, because we are recognized as a group. Being a senior, it showed me that what we do is appreciated and that all the work that I have put into the band means something.”
In addition to recognizing the band’s accomplishments, the congressmen and congresswomen also recognized James for his work.
“They spoke of my accomplishments and involvement in the music community of Cabell County over the years,” said James.
This event was an important milestone in the history of West Virginia’s marching band program, and it may be just what the state needs to bring attention to it.
“I hope this change brings to light the hard work we do,” said May. “I also hope that it will bring light to the fact that band is essentially an art form for a larger audience.”