Senior Color Day goes off without a hitch

Morgan Browning, Staff Reporter

As the school year comes to an end, Cabell Midland’s students and staff are preparing to say goodbye to the class of 2017. On April 11, Cabell Midland’s staff and student council helped prepare a breakfast and ceremony for the seniors. The cooks fixed a delicious breakfast with french toast, cinnamon apples, biscuits, sausage, scrambled eggs and other goodies. Student Council set up the cafeteria with decorations in this year’s class colors of royal blue and scarlet red. The auditorium was also prepared with the stage decorated for the special occasion. After eating their big breakfast and taking many pictures, the seniors were sent to the auditorium where they were handed the class flower and a program.
Senior class president Ella Cooper began the assembly, with a welcome speech, followed by senior class vice president Tanner Brandon, leading everyone in the pledge of allegiance. The CMHS choir then sang the school’s alma mater followed by the “Old Irish Blessing.” Afterwards, senior class secretary Lindsey Cummings introduced former coach Jim Clayton. He spoke to the class of 2017 and prepared them for the real world by sharing his motivational words.
The senior colors of royal blue and scarlet red were then explained by senior class treasurer Ralph May. He mentioned that the colors represent the freedom of the USA and that of who he and his fellow seniors will have after graduation.
This year’s class flower was a red rose, and each student was handed one as they entered the auditorium. Senior class representative Lexie Deskins introduced the flower as a symbol of Greek history, tied to the goddess of love.
The senior class’ catchphrase, “The hassle was worth the tassel,” was introduced by senior class representative Madison Jones, who made a great point about it. Jones mentioned that many students found the motto cheesy, but that it was very true. According to Jones, this group of seniors has worked hard to get where they are now and the quote said just that.
This year’s class song, “Time of my Life,” was performed by Midland’s music department, led by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes.
Seniors Larissa Noel and Sophia Celdran revealed this year’s class shield, which was made to look like a stained glass window, by the art department.
Lastly, the journalism team created the senior slideshow consisting of pictures of this year’s seniors throughout their high school days. Senior class representatives Mason Elam and Andrea Jackson closed the assembly, before everyone was dismissed to the gymnasium for the class picture. With everyone in blues and reds, they filled the bleachers and were photographed. (This picture can be purchased in the main office for $10.) This is the last time they will all be together until the graduation ceremony.
After the pictures were done, the seniors took pictures on their own, before either returning to class or going home. Although they may be leaving the school, the class of 2017 will still be remembered here at the castle.