AOI-Jake Edwards

Alyson Smith and Channing Varnum

Junior, Jake Edwards is a treasured athlete here at Cabell Midland. He is a defender for the Knight’s mens’ soccer Varsity team and the small forward for the mens’ basketball JV and Varsity team. Edwards continues to have high hopes as the soccer season starts with a bang and for the upcoming basketball season.

“I have great expectations for the the soccer team this year. We are currently undefeated 4-0 and I truly believe we are making it to the State Tournament.” said Edwards.

This past week Edwards scored two out of five goals at their game against Woodrow Wilson. Also, he got down and dirty on the turf in the pouring rain taking another win against Ashland.

“Saturday’s game against Ashland was a rough one. Many of the players left with bruises and we were all drenched from the downpour of rain. I went up for a header at one point and knocked skulls with an Ashland player. He ended up having to leave early to get ten stitches.” said Edwards.

Edwards has always had a passion for both of his sports. During the off season he plays AAU travel basketball. He has a great love for playing for all of his teams throughout every season.

“I could never decide on whether soccer or basketball is my favorite. I will always tell you I love one of them more than the other during the season I play it.” said Edwards.

Balancing his work put in for both sports can be challenging but Edwards is proud of the goals he has obtained. He definitely wants to continue to climb higher in his skill level.

“A number one priority for me would be to improve my ball-handling skills in both of my sports. Dribbling the ball both with my feet and hands has never been my top skill.” said Edwards.

No matter how tough the competition can get, Edwards knows he always has the support of his friends who double as his teammates.

“I can always count on my friends to push me on the court and on the field. They are one of the many reasons I enjoy the sports I play.” said Edwards.