Solar Eclipse Project

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/7/16025284/total-solar-eclipse-2017-date-time-lunar-map-glasses-path

Joshua Biser, News Reporter

On August 21, many students and teachers prepared for the Great American Eclipse, an event that had not happened in over 30 years.  Some teachers had prepared experiments or projects for the occasion.  Mrs. Chenoweth, who teaches the AP statistics as well as computer sciences, helped make the eclipse an opportunity to understand its effects on the earth by doing a project.  On August 21, many students and teachers prepared for the Great American Eclipse, an event that had not happened in over 30 years.  Some teachers had prepared experiments or projects for the occasion.  Mrs. Chenoweth, who teaches the AP statistics as well as computer sciences, helped make the eclipse an opportunity to understand its effects on the earth by doing a project.  “Our project for the eclipse is to collect temperature data, checking for changes in the temperature as well as wind speed.” said Chenoweth, just hours before the eclipse.  Being such a rare event, there are many projects and experiments that can be done on the phenomenon, but there is not enough time to do them all, so teachers, such as Ms. Chenoweth, are forced to choose just one.  “I chose this project because I knew students could analyze the data, and differentiate between patterns before, during and after the eclipse,” said Chenoweth. “Using the glasses they can also experience it.” Ms. Chenoweth had some hopes and expectations for the experience the students would have. “I expect students to have a real world instance of data collection and analysis,”  said Chenoweth. “For them to have a memorable experience while viewing the eclipse.” After the eclipse occurred, data had been collected, and conclusions could be drawn.“Wind speed picked up and temperature dropped as well.” said Chenoweth. “Had we been in the path of totality, I expect the differences in wind speed and temperature drop would have been greater.” With the eclipse coming again in seven years, Ms. Chenoweth has plans to see it in its totality. “I would do the same project when the next eclipse happens,” said Chenoweth. “But the eclipse is on my birthday, so I want to go see it.” Despite being an interesting project for the eclipse, there’s still something to be taken away from it. “I’d like students to learn that the math they learn in this class can be used in the real world.”  said Chenoweth.