Exercise in a Student’s Life

Bailey Arkell, News Reporter

Students often face trouble when trying to incorporate time to exercise during the week. A few students at Cabell Midland High School reflect on the importance of exercise and its impact on the education system.

Junior students, Alexa Adkins and Jenna Lemley, believe that exercising is important in the balance of life.

“It makes you feel good by maintaining a good health and making you stronger,” said Adkins. “You should exercise about one hour five times a week,” said Lemley.

They offer a few exercises that is best for the body and what can happen when you don’t watch what you eat.

“Swimming, biking, and running are all good exercises, especially since most of these exercises are easy on the joints,” said Adkins. “If you are eating an excessive amount of bad foods while exercising, it does not do anything for your body. People tend to eat unhealthy because more junk foods are promoted than healthy foods, plus junk food tends to be cheaper.”

Adkins believes that schools should offer specialized physical education classes besides the traditional gym credit as well as a weighted GPA.

“Adding classes like hiking or yoga would be a good idea because it would interest more people,” said Adkins. “If students voluntarily chose to take more than one ‘gym credit’ or physical education course, our GPA should be weighted. This could motivate students to actually take care of their body and maintain their health.”

Adkins thinks that schools are focusing all their energy on academics and less on exercise.

“All you do in school is sit all day and walk to class,” said Adkins.

Adkins believes the core classes should try to integrate exercise into their lessons.

“Some lessons are hard to learn without being in a classroom setting, though, some lessons would not matter. Teachers should try to do an activity that incooperates more movement, maybe once per semester,” said Adkins.

Lemley thinks that sometimes it is hard to exercise on one’s own time, specifically while in school.

“Sometimes, it is hard to work out knowing that you have a lot of homework to be done,” said Lemley.

Lemley believes that if schools offer more specialized classes, the obesity rate would go down.

“Students are not exercising as they should be. If schools inserted more classes that would get them their gym credits and lessons with physical activity, the obesity rate would go down,” said Lemley.