The Truth Behind Standardized Testing

Bailey Arkell, News Reporter

For schools all over the world, students are required to take standardized tests to get into college and to get a job. Students examine why it is so important to be a successful test taker and if it accurately measures knowledge.

Junior student, Brooklyn Ferguson, believes that doing well on standardized tests will impact a person’s life, but will not accurately measure their intelligence.

“In the real world, you have to pass tests in order to go to a good college and to get a job,” said Ferguson. “In the end, knowledge shouldn’t be assumed by a test score, instead it should be measured by the students knowing and applying the newfound knowledge to their lives.”

Ferguson thinks that some students might not do as well on standardized testing than school work.

“Some people can do well on schoolwork, but not as well on tests,” said Ferguson. “Some people have test anxiety.”

Ferguson strongly believes that setting a time restriction on standardized tests is not in the best interest of the student.

“When there is a time restriction, students feel like they can’t do their best to fulfill their potential since they feel rushed,” said Ferguson.

Ferguson thinks that education systems should find a better way to determine a student’s knowledge.

“They should look for a way to combine the material colleges and administrators want students to know with real world situations that will impact students for the rest of their lives,” said Ferguson.

Ferguson believes that in the meantime students should always try their best on tests.

“Study beforehand in order to be prepared, even if you think you know the material,” said Ferguson. “If you go into a test with a positive attitude, you will get positive results. If you go into a test with a negative attitude, your results will reflect that.”