NFL power rankings (Week 8)

Brennon Shope, Sports Editor

Top 5 NFL power rankings (Week 8)

Coming off a crazy week six, where the New York Jets were nearly alone at the number one seed in the AFC East. The undefeated Chiefs lost to Pittsburg, who are no longer concerned about the play of Big Ben. Zeke was also granted another temporary restraining order, and will play through at least this upcoming week. All of this is beginning to become par for the course in the wild league of today’s NFL. Even though this is a tighter league this year, there is still a pecking order for the top five. These are the Week eight power rankings.

1. Philadelphia Eagles (6-1)The Eagles come off a convincing win against the redskins, in which their young QB threw for nearly 300 yards and posted a passer rating of 126.3. The Eagle’s defense looked solid in the first half, but began to falter as the Redskins’ Kirk Cousins led a comeback. The offense continued to score to hold the lead to finish out the game. With their only loss coming from a top ranked Chiefs team, who is on a two game losing streak, the Eagles look solid heading into the back half of the season.
  2. New England Patriots (5-2)Where is that 16-0 team now? I never really bought into the talk about this being the best Pats team ever, and now it looks like I was right. The loss of Julian Edelman has made this offense spread Tom Brady’s targets around, there is a three way tie in receptions for Pats receivers Brandin Cooks, Chris Hogan, And Rob Gronkowski all have 41 catches apiece (Pro Football Focus). The offense has been firing on all cylinders this season, it’s the defense that was the problem. That seems to have been turned around, ever since Matt Patricia, the Patriots defensive coordinator, adopted a bend, but don’t break approach to defending. This “struggling” Patriots defense nearly kept the Falcons out of the end zone all game in their rematch of Super Bowl LI. This is a promising development for a Patriots team that is back on the rise.
  3. Pittsburg Steelers (5-2) The Steelers had a superb week six in which they defeated the undefeated and top-ranked Chiefs and then followed it up in week seven with a blowout win over division rival Cincinnati. While the team has been mired in controversy and underperformance early on, they seem to have ignited a spark that has pushed them through two solid wins. That spark has a name; Le’veon Bell. It seems that bell has finally shook off the rust of his offseason holdout. One thing going forward, if Bell can stay on the field for the entirety of this season, he needs to be paid. With an easy stretch of games coming in the next several weeks, this Steelers team has room to climb.
  4. Kansas City Chiefs (5-2)The Chiefs: Oh the chiefs. What started out as a dominate season has gone the wayside the past two weeks. In which they were man handled by the Steelers D and then allowed a struggling Raiders team to stay in the game long enough to pull off a win (the Raiders only scored the final touchdown 4 times). As of now, the Chiefs fall in at number two. To keep this ranking they are going to need to turn this streak around, or they might just fall out of the top 5.
  5.  Minnesota Vikings (5-2)This season, the Vikings have a chance to play more quarterbacks during the season than the Browns. With Sam Bradford dealing with knee issues again, and Case Keenum filling in admirably, it would seem everything was fine. The possible return of Teddy Bridgewater muddies the figurative water a bit. This is a balanced, if not solid, Vikings team, that falls in the rankings at number five.