Disney stars then and now

Hilary Duff then and now.

Hilary Duff then and now.

Glamour

Glamour

Hilary Duff then and now.

Julie Zabel, Staff Reporter

1. Miley Cyrus

Then: Cyrus formerly acted, danced, and sang on Disney Channel’s hit show Hannah Montana. During this time, she recorded several albums and starred in multiple movies.

Now: After leaving Disney, Cyrus discarded her family friendly reputation and started to appeal to more of a mature audience. She briefly became more widely known for partying and drug abuse, but has recently changed her attitude and mellowed out with her new album Younger Now.

1. Hilary Duff

Then: Duff was one of the original Disney Channel stars. She was most known for her role as Lizzie from the show Lizzie McGuire, which ran from 2001-2004. She started the Disney Channel trend of having their actresses double as singers. She starred in several movies on Disney Channel as well as outside movies.

Now: Duff continued to act and sing for years after her career with Disney Channel. As of a few years ago, she started to focus more on her music career, and released her latest album Breathe In. Breathe Out. in 2015. She was married to Mike Comrie from 2010-2016 and had a son named Luca Cruz Comrie.

1. Raven Symone

Then: Symone is known most for her part as the lead in That’s So Raven and one of the leads in The Cheetah Girls, but she originally started her career as Olivia on The Cosby Show. She still worked with Disney during the production of the Disney Fairies movies in 2015 by providing the voice of the fairy Iridessa, as well as several other shows.

Now: In 2015, Symone joined the cast of daytime talk show The View. In 2016, she left her place on The View and released two music tracks online. As of 2017, Symone is starring in a sequel to That’s So Raven called Raven’s Home on Disney Channel.

1. Selena Gomez

Then: Originally starring with Demi Lovato on Barney and Friends as a young child, Gomez got her fame on the Disney Channel hit show Wizards of Waverly Place as main character Alex Russo. During her time on Disney Channel she acted in many films inside and outside of Disney, and released various albums.

Now: Gomez frequently tops music charts in the U.S. She has won several awards for her music and is currently the most followed person on the popular social media platform Instagram.

1. Demi Lovato

Then: Lovato starred with Gomez in Barney and Friends as a young child, but later broke out on Disney Channel in the hit movie Camp Rock. Lovato proceeded to star in several Disney Channel movies such as Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam and Princess Protection Program. She soon got her own show Sonny with a Chance and went on several music tours. Her time with Disney was cut short when she was checked into a mental hospital for substance abuse, bipolar disorder, an eating disorder, and self-harm.

Now: Lovato continues to make music that tops charts in the U.S. She briefly appeared as one of the judges for America’s Got Talent. She frequently speaks out about mental illness, body image, and substance abuse in her music, interviews, and social media. She encourages her fan to be positive about themselves and stay strong.