How students celebrate Christmas

University Magazine

University Magazine

Julie Zabel, Staff Reporter

Christmas is right around the corner, and the vast majority of Cabell Midland students celebrate the jolly holiday. With so many people who celebrate, there are many different ways each student will spend their Christmas.

Senior, Reanna DeVore, does the usual Christmas traditions of decorating and gift exchanges, but she also opens one present on Christmas Eve.

“Like most families who celebrate Christmas, we decorate our house after Thanksgiving and put up a tree. On Christmas Eve, we each open one of our presents early, then give each other the rest of the presents on Christmas morning,” said DeVore.

Senior, Alexis Carter, says that her family gets together on Christmas Eve to have a big dinner and open presents to celebrate the holiday. Then on Christmas Day, they find a special ornament on the tree.

“My family all comes together on Christmas Eve. We have a big dinner and then open presents together. That night, my mom will put an ornament on the tree that we have to find on Christmas Day,” said Carter.

Recently, Carter and her family have started the new tradition of Elf on the Shelf, which has gained popularity in recent years.

“We recently got an Elf on the Shelf, and we hide it for the younger kids. It’s a toy elf that we place around the house to ‘watch’ the younger kids and report back to Santa. They love it, and it makes them a little more behaved,” said Carter

DeVore said that she is most excited for the long break from school that students get for Christmas.

“I look forward to not being in school after an entire semester and finals. I also look forward to seeing my friends and partying hard over the break,” said DeVore.

Carter looks forward to all the good cheer from people around Christmas and the good feeling that comes with the holiday.

“What I look forward to most is the good will and the overall joyous feeling of the holiday,” said Carter. “Everyone just seems so cheerful and generous during Christmas, and it makes me feel better than usual.”