The 2018 Winter Olympics

Hannah Tomes, Staff Reporter

The 2018 Winter Olympics are coming up in a few weeks on Friday, February 9, in PyeongChang, South Korea. Many people are excited to see what this year’s games bring.

The Winter Olympics offer many sports, like skiing, ice skating, snowboarding and more. People from around the world come together to showcase their talents and go for the gold medal. Sophomore Meredith Mears says her favorite event to see is the figure skating.

“I like to watch figure skating. The costumes are really pretty and the dances are very entertaining.” said Mears.

The Winter Olympics are always held in a different place than the previous time, and a lot of people think having them in South Korea this year was an interesting choice.

“In 2028 the Winter Olympics are going to be in LA, and I think that’s cool because California is mostly considered warm. I can’t wait to see how they prepare for it.” said Mears.

While the Olympics can definitely be lots of fun for the athletes and competitors, there are also many dangers and challenges that come along with it. Every year there are usually at least a few people who get injured, and depending on the severity of it, it could be enough to ruin their entire career.

“I feel like skiing would probably be the hardest sport to compete in because anything can happen. You could go off the track and get hurt.” said Mears.

The Summer Olympics are also looked forward to every four years, since they offer diverse sports compared to the Winter Olympics, like swimming, archery, volleyball and much more.

“Personally I like the Summer Olympics better.” said Mears. “There are more events and tennis is one of them. I like to watch and play tennis.”