How Students From Parkland Are Responding To The Shooting

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter

“We’re marching because it’s not just schools. It’s movie theaters, it’s concerts, it’s nightclubs,” Alex Wind, a student from Parkland, told NBC “Meet the Press.” “This kind of stuff can’t just happen. You know, we are marching for our lives, we’re marching for the 17 lives we lost. And we’re marching for our children’s lives and our children’s children and their children.”

Almost everyone in America has heard about the tragedy that took place February 14th in Parkland, Florida at a local high school. A former student who had been expelled slipped into the school without suspicion, pulled the fire alarm to lure students out of their classes, and began shooting his AR-15. After injuring dozens of people and killing seventeen innocent people, some as young as fourteen, the killer slipped out of the school and escaped into the city. The nineteen year old delinquent and murder could face the death penalty.

While everyone affected by the shooting is still grieving, many students from the school are using this as an opportunity to raise awareness, calling for stronger gun control and more effective school security. The students are working with large organizations, such as the Women’s March Organization, to put together a nationwide walkout and march for students to participate in. Set to take place March 24, will feature calls for lawmakers to take up legislative remedies to improve mental health and expand regulations on guns, the students have said.

Whether or not you support gun control, the students are concerned that legislation has become too relaxed when buying these weapons. Japan, for example, requires you pass a mental health examination and take a weapon inspection and gun class once a year, along with the amo and gun to be stored separately in your household with the location documented. Many argue that these are the strides America needs to be taking, in order to potentially prevent more mass shootings. Americans are also angry that the government is blaming the shootings on mental health issues, however healthcare for people with mental illness is unattainable due to the costs and insurance policies.

Whether or not you agree with the students and many other supporters, a march is due to take place in the near future and all students, parents, and teachers are encouraged to participate. The grieving families no longer want condolences and prayers, however, instead they want legislation passed.

Let’s take a moment to recognize the victims of this tragedy:

Alyssa Alhadeff, 14, was a student at Stoneman Douglas and a soccer player for Parkland Travel Soccer

Scott Beigel, 35, a geography teacher, was killed as he tried to usher students back into his classroom when the shooting broke out.

Martin Duque Anguiano, 14, a Go-Fund-Me has been set up to help for his funeral expenses.

Nicholas Dworet, 17, a senior, University of Indianapolis confirmed he was recruited for the university swim team and would have been an incoming freshman this fall.

Aaron Feis, 37, an assistant football coach, was killed when he threw himself in front of students to protect them from oncoming bullets.

Jaime Guttenberg, 14, was among the victims, according to a Facebook post by her father, Fred.

Chris Hixon, 49, who was the school’s athletic director — as an awesome husband, father and American.

Luke Hoyer, 15, the killing shocked Luke’s close-knit family.

Cara Loughran, 14, danced at the Drake School of Irish Dance in South Florida.

Gina Montalto, 14, was a member of the winter guard on the school’s marching band.

Joaquin Oliver, 17, was born in Venezuela, moved to the United States when he was 3 and became a naturalized citizen in January 2017.

Alaina Petty, 14, Alaina’s family said she was vibrant and determined. She had volunteered after Hurricane Irma hit Florida in September.

Meadow Pollack, 18, had been accepted at Lynn University in Boca Raton.

Helena Ramsay, 17, “My family lost an absolutely beautiful member today, due to a senseless school shooting,” said in a post about Helena, who would have started college next year.

Alex Schachter, 14, Alex participated in the school marching band and orchestra, playing baritone in the former and trombone in the latter.

Carmen Schentrup, 16, Carmen was a National Merit Scholar semifinalist.

Peter Wang, 15, Peter had been a member of the ROTC program, and his parents owned a restaurant in West Palm Beach.