Student of the Issue

Credit: psdgraphics.com

Credit: psdgraphics.com

Hannah Tomes, Staff Reporter

Student of the Issue recognizes people that are pushing themselves to their full potential and working for good grades in order to make a bright future for themselves.

Meredith Mears was born on October 25, 2001, in Huntington, WV. She currently lives in Barboursville with her mom, dad, brother, and their dog. She is a sophomore here at Cabell Midland and is on the school’s tennis team. Tennis is her favorite sport and she has been playing since she was three years old. Her mom, also an avid tennis player, is the person who got her introduced to the sport. In eighth grade she placed second in the county, and last year she and her partner were runners up in the region. Not only is she talented at sports, she is also talented academically, and is taking Honors and AP classes. She has won multiple awards throughout her time at school, including the Young Writers’ Award in elementary school, First Place for poetry three different years, Honorable Mention for prose in fifth grade, and a Citizenship Award in eighth grade. Everyone can agree that she is a great student, is always there to lend a hand when someone needs it, and is probably one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. She takes her grades very seriously and makes sure her work is always done on time and turned in. Besides playing tennis, she also enjoys spending time with her family and friends, getting on social media and Youtube, reading, and going shopping. Her plans for the future include going to college and becoming either an elementary school special education teacher, social worker, or speech pathologist. She has set goals for herself and is working hard to make sure she can achieve them. It’s clear she is on the pathway to a successful life!