The Rise and Fall of Academies

Summer Boling, Reporter

When the class of 2020 first step foot in Cabell Midland High school, they were also the first subject to a new “Academy” based system. At first glance, this was regarded as a good move, however the results show otherwise. Multiple issues have been brought to light by the inconsistent system. Fade Berry, junior, believes that academies have made it more difficult for students to be placed in classes they may need for the future.

“It doesn’t work, it’s forced my friends into classes they didn’t need in exchange for a title” they state. Berry isn’t alone in this, alumni that have moved on have stated that “The Academies system is irrelevant to college as a whole, it’s generally a flop.”

While it can be said that academies are intended to keep students in a more familiar setting, it hasn’t been noticed by the majority. Multiple students state that they feel that academies has just made the scheduling process far more concerning.

Berry said “I even have friends who aren’t in a set academy, or friends whose classes were made global, forcing them to take academy classes they didn’t need.”

Academies was overall a concept that looked great on paper, but never worked in reality. Berry believes that switching back to the old scheduling system would not only help simplify the process, but reopen opportunities to upcoming Cabell Midland students. Alumni believe the same. One states “Scheduling before the switch felt much more open. I believe the switch was never really needed.” they continued “Don’t fix something if it isn’t broke.”

Overall, the student body believes that one system is all that was ever needed, and sorting students into smaller groups didn’t help build connections. It instead built a barrier that would make progress just that much harder.