Is the Cellphone Ban taken seriously?

hsn.com

Hannah Tomes, Co-Editor

While many claim the cellphone ban at Cabell Midland is strictly enforced, some students admit they have at least one teacher that allows them to get their phones out during class.

A survey was conducted including 25 students at Midland, 20 being juniors and 5 being sophomores, asking whether or not they had a class where they could get their cellphones out without consequences. 15 of them said they did and 10 said they did not, leaving the final results relatively close. However, the majority of students seem to have more lenient teachers.

According to page 5 in the school handbook, cellphones are “banned from the time students arrive on school property until the final dismissal bell for the school day”. The first offence supposedly results in one day of in school suspension, with the following offences adding another day to that, and the worst punishment being three days of out of school suspension if the student refuses to hand over their phone.

It’s no secret that students are getting on their phones at school constantly, sometimes without their teacher’s knowledge. Other times teachers let their students get on educational or classroom participant websites and apps, such as Quizlet and Kahoot. Although there are rules against cellphones, most people can agree that using them is a much faster way to get research done, which is why some teachers may take the ban less seriously since it can help students finish work faster.

The downsides of allowing students to access their phones during class is that it could lead to cheating or goofing off, which is why they are banned. Enforcing this ban can be a challenge, because there is no way the administration can keep an eye on every classroom at once during school hours. At the end of the day, it would appear that the majority of teachers most likely don’t take the cellphone ban as seriously as they are supposed to.