Best Thanksgiving Vacations

Julianne LaFon, Reporter

Thanksgiving break is just a week away. If you aren’t planning on traveling for the week, maybe after this short list you’ll chance you’re mind.

1. Great Smokey Mountains- Get a taste of the great outdoors, and visit America’s most visited National Park. During the month of November you’ll find all kinds of crunchy autumn-colored leaves and most importantly a lack of crowds. So it makes a great time for hiking, and for Thanksgiving day walk over to Applewood Farmhouse for a full thanksgiving feast.
  2. Chicago, Illinios – Even though the weather will be very cold, it is only another excuse to break out your cutest sweaters and get some hot chocolate. They have multiple holiday-worthy attractions, and a bunch of high-end places to shop for the newest fall trends. Chicago even has there own Thanksgiving day parade, it will include elaborately decorated floats and everyone’s favorite gigantic helium balloons.
  3. Cape Cod, Massachusetts- In 1620 a boat named the Mayflower came to the United Sates and people started building one of the first civilizations in the U.S. and about a year later they had the first Thanksgiving. So how many people actually remembered that? Because I know I didn’t, Every year on the night before Thanksgiving there is a celebration at the 255 foot monument, and on Thanksgiving day there is a 3 hour train ride that will serve you a five-course meal while you cruse the coastline.
  4. Aspen, Colorado- Aspen is apparently a spectacular year-around place to visit, but something about the fresh, powdery, white snow that is on the ground makes the fall/winter time. Even thought the major Colorado resorts kick off their ski season, during Thanksgiving the slopes are usually not as crowded. So that means more time skiing and playing in the snow then waiting in line for the ski lifts.
  5. Park City, Utah- Sitting more than 7,000 feet above sea level, Park City is one of the most famous small towns in America and is home to the largest ski resort in America. It is also home to America’s largest independent film festival, but that is sadly in the month of January. But getting back to the turkey season, a \ restaurant to eat at for Thanksgiving is St. Regis Deer Valley Restaurant.

Hopefully this list of places gave you an idea of places to visit for Thanksgiving this year, next year, or maybe for some other time of the year. Best of wishes for your Thanksgiving, and for those that are traveling drive safe.