Is Halsey Really a Bubble Gum Blowing Song Artist?

Josiah Royer, Staff Reporter

Halsey (Ashley Frangipane), a 24 year old song artist from Edison, New Jersey, seems to be portrayed as a basic pop artist and often gets discredited for her eccentric flow of her music. Her junior album, Hopeless Fountain Kingdom, had three songs that were easily Top 40 material which were played on the radio, and made Halsey more commonly known. However, people listen to those three songs and assume that she’s like everyone else on the radio, so they don’t dig deeper into her treasures hidden beneath album titles.

Her sophomore album, Badlands, had a very eccentric feel and told stories that many artists don’t tend to. Her album showed us that she was going to do what she wanted to do, feel how she felt, and go her own way. The first track on the list, Castle, contained the lyrics “Sick of all these people talking, sick of all this noise/ Tired of all these cameras flashing, sick of being poised/ Now my neck is open wide, begging for a fist around it/ Already choking on my pride, so there’s no use crying about it”. She was referencing that the publishers and officials were wanting her to attend to their wants and to their agenda, but she clearly had something else in mind.

“We know very well who we are/ So we hold it down when summer starts/ What kind of dough have you been spending/ What kind of bubblegum have you been blowing lately.” New Americana is an explanation of how Halsey’s not like all the other ones. Whether the other ones be artists, women, or just up-to-the-minute people in general. She made it very clear that she is outlandish and that she doesn’t care about what people think of her.