Classic Christmas Songs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Classic Christmas Songs

Jordan Armstrong, Reporter

As Christmas approaches, many of the classic songs and music of the holiday start to arrive as well. However, not many people may know about the complete history of these holiday classics. To everyone, each set of songs may affect others differently; from feeling happy or remembering past events, these songs always appear during the best time of the year.

“All I want for Christmas is You”, by Mariah Carey – One of the most well-known holiday music songs and was released in 1994. The song was nominated for the world music award for world’s best song as well as the world music award for world’s best video.

“Rockin Around the Christmas Tree”, by Brenda Lee- Written by Johnny Marks and sung by Brenda Lee in 1958. The original version had sold 25 million copies, Lee recorded the song when she was only thirteen years old.

“Feliz Navidad”, by Jose Feliciano -Was released in 1970. It has become a classic Christmas pop song in both America and many Spanish speaking countries.

“It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas”, by Meredith Willson – Was written and recorded in 1951. Over the years there has been a wide variety of versions recorded by other singers.

“Sleigh Ride”, by Leroy Anderson – Released in 1948, with the intent of the song to be originally instrumental, lyrics were not added until 1950. Many different versions of the song have been recorded over the years.

“Here Comes Santa Claus”, by Gene Autry – Was published in 1947. The original was a top ten on the country charts and there has been multiple versions of the song recorded. One version of this song was recorded by Elvis Presley ten years later in 1957.

Although there are many more types of holiday music, it’s easy to say that all of them are traditional to listen to as Christmas arrives.