Daylight Saving Time 2019

Jordan Armstrong, Reporter

March 10th will start Daylight Saving Time, in which an hour of daylight is gained, but an hour of sleep is lost. The idea of Daylight Saving Time was first thought of during the late 1700’s.

It was actually Benjamin Franklin who thought of the idea of Daylight Saving Time for a variety of reasons. It wasn’t until 1966, when President Lyndon Johnson enacted the law for Daylight Saving Time to begin on the last Sunday of April and end on the last Sunday of October.

Since then, Daylight Saving Time has been adjusted through state’s decisions; currently the only state’s not to observe Daylight Saving Time are Arizona, Hawaii, and Pacific territory American islands.

The first country to impose Daylight Saving Time was Canada, with Germany and Austria being the first two countries in Europe. Statistically, 40% of countries worldwide use Daylight Saving Time.

The time change was mainly used to conserve time for farmers to help with agricultural resources in time for harvest.

In continental U.S there are four time zones, which include: Pacific, Mountain, Central, and Eastern, with Alaska and Hawaii having separate time zones.

There are many benefits following Daylight Saving Time, which include improving road safety for driving in daylight longer than at night. Another benefit is that it helps conserve energy, by not using artificial light at night.

Daylight Saving Time doesn’t not affect the winter or solar solstice. The longest day of the year is June 21st with most time of daylight out of the entire year. The Winter solstice is December 21st in which it has the least amount of hours of daylight, but the longest night of the year.

Most people tend to favor the springing forward of time, because more people are up and moving during spring and summer doing activities and going on vacations.