St. Patrick’s Day 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

St. Patrick’s Day 2019

Jordan Armstrong, Reporter

St. Patrick’s Day is a celebration held every year on March 17. Originally a religious feast day, it has developed into a celebration of Irish heritage and culture. It is celebrated with festivals, parades and dancing by the Irish; in many countries around the world.

It is customary to wear green clothing or accessories, the color most associated with Ireland and its culture.

One of the more iconic symbols associated with St. Patrick’s Day is the four leaf clover/shamrock which represents good fortune and luck.

For many people who don’t know who Saint Patrick was he was a patron saint and national apostle of Ireland who is credited with successfully bringing Christianity to Ireland.

People wear a shamrock on St. Patrick’s Day because, legend says, St. Patrick used its three leaves to explain the Holy Trinity.

The first St. Patrick’s Day parade in the American colonies was held in New York City on this day in 1762.

It was emigrants, particularly to the United States, who transformed St. Patrick’s Day into a largely popular holiday of revelry and celebration of things Irish.

The first St Patrick’s Festival was held on 17 March 1996. In 1997, it became a three-day event, and by 2000 it was a four-day event. By 2006, the festival was five days long; more than 675,000 people attended the 2009 parade. Overall 2009’s five-day festival saw almost 1 million visitors, who took part in festivities that included concerts, outdoor theatre performances, and fireworks

Religious symbols include snakes and serpents, as well as the Celtic cross. Some say that Saint Patrick added the Sun, a powerful Irish symbol, onto the Christian cross to create what is now called a Celtic cross.

Other Irish-related symbols seen on St Patrick’s Day include the harp, which was used in Ireland for centuries, as well as a mythological creature known as the leprechaun and a pot of gold that the leprechaun keeps hidden.