Prom and Prom Facts 2019

Tessa Spurlock, Reporter

Prom is popular among teens in high schools in the United States, and are also a major event for seniors and juniors. A promenade dance, most commonly called a prom, is a semi-formal dance or gathering of high school students. This event is typically held near the end of the school year. Proms were not held nationwide until around 1930”
Facts about prom:

Prom used to be pretty boring:
No one’s actually sure how the whole prom tradition started, but the earliest known reference to a “prom” comes from a college student’s journal in 1894. Over the next few years, high schools picked up on the trend and started hosting proms as a chance for students to practice their manners while sipping tea in the gymnasium. Yawn.That’s pretty lame.

Prom got a glam makeover in the 1950s:
Over the next few decades, prom got a few much-needed upgrades — schools started serving full dinners and hiring local bands to play — but we didn’t reach peak prom until after World War II ended. Thanks to a post-war economic boom, schools moved their proms to fancy banquet halls and standard prom attire got a lot swankier. Today, the average student spends around $900 on prom expenses — yikes.

Prom almost fizzled out:
A few years ago, an article on the language of prom looked at how many times prom was mentioned in text over the past century and found a major lull in the late ’60s and early ’70s. Most likely, that’s because there was so much going on at that time — like the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War — that prom took a backseat while students focused on fighting for change. But it made a big comeback in the ’80s, with the help of iconic prom scenes in movies like Pretty in Pink and Back to the Future.

Promposals weren’t always a thing:
Apparently someone decided that asking your crush to prom wasn’t awkward enough already, and there needed to be way more potential for public embarrassment — and thus the trend of extravagant prom proposals started in the early 2000s. A recent survey found that promposals cost an average of $324 — just tack that on to prom’s already-hefty price tag. (But we have to admit, some of them are pretty awesome — and there are plenty of ways to do it on the cheap.)

Cabell Midland Prom:
At Cabell Midland any student can go as long as they are in the 11th or 12th grade or invited by another student in the 11th or 12th grade. Prom usually starts at eight and ends at midnight, but student usually start getting ready much earlier in the day because they go out to eat around 6-7 and take pictures around 5-6.

Mostly everyone enjoys prom. It’s a huge deal for most seniors, because it is their last high school dance. Our proms usually have a theme, but hardly anyone dresses accordingly to the theme.
Most female students buy their prom dresses from anywhere to 8-5 months in advance to prom. Prom is usually end of April or beginning of May. This year prom is on May 4th. (Star Wars Day), but the theme is not Star Wars, it is “arabian nights”.