SAT Test Taking Advice

Back to Article
Back to Article

SAT Test Taking Advice

Joshua Biser, Co-editor

With the school year entering the last 9 weeks, many students will be taking the SAT as part of required test taking for the year. Studying for these tests is very important, especially for those planning on attending college later in life. In addition to studying, there are also additional tips you can use to help improve your score.

Pay Attention to Context
When answering questions about a specific phrase in a passage, it can be very important to pay attention to the phrases around it too, as they may very well help you to answer the question. In other problems, understanding context can give you an idea of negative or positive response required.

Don’t overuse NO CHANGE
More often than not during the writing section, when asked to review problems, NO CHANGE is an answer choice on a lot of the questions. Be careful of this, as most of the statements they have you review will need changed in one form or another. However, NO CHANGE will likely be the answer at least once, so don’t be afraid to choose it if no other answer makes sense.

Knowing when to skip a question
Sometimes you don’t know the answer to a question, and it’s very easy to get stuck on a given problem. It’s important to remember that the SAT is timed, and you will need the time to answer future questions. If you have the time, you should definitely return to the problem to at least attempt it, though.

Ensure your answer sheet and question number match
When working with scantrons, you’re expected to fit all your answers onto a very small sheet of paper. This results in the compacting of answer choices, which can lead to people filling in wrong blanks, and getting ahead of the question they’re actually on. It’s important to periodically check to make sure the answer sheet and the test question match, as having to go back and change answers can be a huge time waster.