2020 Presidential Candidates

Back to Article
Back to Article

2020 Presidential Candidates

Jordan Armstrong, Reporter

2020 is just nine months away, and with that will come the next presidential election, deciding if Donald Trump will get reelected or another presidential candidate will take office.

Already, there seems to be a wide variety of candidates running for office; here are some of the presidential candidates running for office in 2020:

John Delaney (D) – Delaney became the first elected official to declare he is running for president, in 2017. The third-term Congressman and wealthy businessman is hoping an early declaration will help him with name recognition.

Cory Booker (D) – Booker, a first-term Senator, is widely regarded as a rising star in the Democratic Party. His home state of New Jersey recently passed a law that will allow him to simultaneously run for president and re-election for the Senate.

Tim Ryan (D) – Ryan gained a national spotlight after he challenged Nancy Pelosi for Speaker of the House. He also has a unique connection to New Hampshire – he got his law degree in the Granite State.

Bernie Sanders (D) – Even though Sanders lost the presidential primary in 2016, he has stayed in the spotlight fighting against Trump’s policies and proposing universal health insurance.  Sanders enters the 2020 race with the benefit of significant name recognition and a national fundraising network.

Bill Weld (R) – Weld is the former governor of Massachusetts and the 2016 vice presidential nominee for the Libertarian Party.  He announced an exploratory committee to challenge Trump in February 2019.

Tulsi Gabbard (D) – Gabbard gained attention in 2016 after she resigned from the Democratic National Committee over a debate schedule she said favored Hillary Clinton. She was also an early endorser of Bernie Sanders. In January 2019 she said she was planning to run and would make a formal announcement in the coming weeks.

These are just a few of the candidates that will be running for office in 2020. It will be interesting to see whether Trump’s incumbency will favor him in the next election.