The History of Sports

Julianne LaFon, Reporter

With the NBA playoffs starting and the Stanley Cup Finals starting as well, it is now time to reintroduce the basics of sports history.

On November 30th, 1872 the first official football game was played between Scotland and England. The game took place at West of Scotland Cricket Club’s ground at Hamilton Crescent in Patrick, Scotland.

The first officially recorded baseball game in U.S. history took place on June 19th, 1846 in Hoboken. The two teams that played are the New Jersey “New York Nine” and the Knickerbockers. The final score was 23-1 in four innings with The New York Nine coming on top.

On January 20th, 1892 the first official basketball game took place. There were nine total players that played in the YMCA gymnasium in Albany, New York. The final game score was 1-0 and the shot was made from 25 feet on a court that is just half the size of a normal NBA court.

In the mid 1880s, lawn tennis players adapted their game to play indoors during the winter so they could continue playing the game while staying warm. The game Ping-Pong or Table Tennis quickly caught on as early as 1901.

On July 7th, 1896 at Springfield College the first official game of volleyball happened. The specific ball used to play was assembled in the 1900s. After that, the game of volleyball began to spread around the country and later the rest of the world.

The idea of tennis spread around in the early 12th century of Northern France. The game quickly spread around the rest of the world. In the early days of the game, they did not use a tennis racquet to strike the ball, but the palm of their hand, hence the name jeu de paume (game of palm).