State Scenery

Back to Article
Back to Article

State Scenery

Jordan Armstrong, Reporter

Each of the 50 states are unique in their own ways. Here is a list of some of the most interesting and surprising things you may not have known about them. (Not in any collective order)

Arkansas: Hot springs national park – it’s been a national park since before America even invented national parks – Congress designated it as federally protected back in 1832. Native Americans were hip to the rejuvenating powers of the springs long before that, but such is American history. In later years, the park area was expanded with miles of scenic trails.

Idaho: Lake Coeur d’Alene – one of the most breathtaking mountain lakes in the US. It is an unexpected sight for any cross-country road trips highlighted by crystal waters and a shoreline dotted by cliffs and pines.

Michigan: The great lakes – most of that shoreline bumps up against Lakes Superior, Huron, and Michigan, which are actually pretty great. Its beaches showcase placid waters, sandy beaches, petoskey stones, and pictured rocks. The peninsular beaches of Michigan are among the country’s finest places to catch a sunset.

Nebraska: Native American caves – Indian Caves are a testament to what happens on the subterranean side of things. It is a place where you can experience the state’s best camping and ancient cave etchings that have been captivating explorers for thousands of years. It also has been the cause of many unverifiable legends.

Montana: Glacier national park – glacier-carved peaks and valleys running to the Canadian border. It’s crossed by the mountainous Going-to-the-Sun Road. Among more than 700 miles of hiking trails, it has a route to the photogenic Hidden Lake, a very beautiful place to visit.

New York: Statue of liberty – a reminder of our own independence. It served as an oxidized, sea-green beacon of hope to the tidal wave of tired, poor, and huddled masses yearning for freedom by coming to America. Lady Liberty represents the Empire State better than anything. This state also claims Buffalo wings, the Yankees, Central Park, Niagara Falls, and some of the world’s greatest architectural wonders. The Statue of Liberty has long served as a symbol of the American values that our country was founded on. Hopefully, it always will.