Perks of staying in WV for college

Zac backus, Reporter

We hear it all the time. You want to move out as soon as you graduate from high school and go away for college. Popular options for college for out of staters tend to be the University of Kentucky, Ohio State University, and Eastern Kentucky university. These are all some pretty great schools, but their out of state tuition costs are very high and out of reach for most students. There are plenty of benefits for staying in state. Here they are:

1. Cheaper: The two largest colleges in WV, Marshall University and West Virginia University have affordable tuition and offer lots of scholarships to WV students. The WVSAM Promise Scholarship can pay up to $4,750 a semester if you go to in-state universities.
  2. Closer to home: For CMHS students who decide to go to Marshall, they can save even more since we live in the commuting distance. That means you won’t have to pay for a dorm or a meal plan, which can save a lot of money. You also get to have home-cooked meals and have your mom take care of you for those extra four years.
  3. Get the “away from home” experience while still staying in WV: Many reasons for people wanting to go out of state is because they are tired of the area and the small town feel, which is understandable. However, you don’t have to leave the state to experience a different culture. If you are looking for a more urban environment away from Cabell County, WVU and the University of Charleston are situated in big cities. WVU is in the northern city of Morgantown, which is a very cool area and only a hour away from Pittsburgh. The University of Charleston is well, in Charleston and is the largest city in West Virginia. It has a very cool urban culture tied to it.

If you are destined to leave the state and never come back, that’s your decision. If you are still college searching, don’t forget to give our amazing state schools a chance.