The First Football Game of the Season

The Herald Dispatch
The football season is near its end, but there are other things to look forward to.

The Herald Dispatch

The Herald Dispatch The football season is near its end, but there are other things to look forward to.

Rachael Oxley, Reporter

The Midland High school football team had their first scrimmage on Saturday, August 17. Midland won, scoring 18-6 against George Washington High School.

Jackson Oxley, a senior, has been playing football since he was six years old, and is excited for his senior season playing tackle saying, ”Everything feels more natural as a senior, you just have more experience.”

The Cabell Midland football team started off the game with their most valuable players. Then, in the second half, the freshman got to take the spotlight.

When asked how he feels on the incoming freshman, Oxley stated, ”The freshman did fine, they were just like we were.” He had this to say about his first game against G.W.: ”G.W. is a decent team, and we had a good game.” Overall, his outlook on the recent game and upcoming season seems positive.

A sophomore, Karleigh Morrone, is excited about this season as she says, ”I’m excited to hang out with friends and eat Scraggle Pop. I hope our team wins, but I don’t really understand the game.”

Football games have almost defined high school throughout the ages, as people all look forward to Friday night lights.

From the interviews conducted, you can tell there is something for everyone at Midland football games. They are amazing social events for kids not participating in football, and open opportunities for players. It gives something for everyone to look forward to, and goals and purpose for players too.