Parking Passes Evaluated

Alec Bentley

Parking passes are important if you want to drive to school.

Journalism I class, Guest Reporters

Driving to school provides a chance for students to become more independent, but it comes with a price. Students have the ability to purchase a parking pass for $40 for both semesters and $20 for the second semester only, every Friday in the main office.
Principal of CMHS, Kelly Daniels said, “We give parking passes to keep track of who is driving to school because the students are in my care.”
The students of CMHS are not limited by age or grade when purchasing a parking pass, but students must have a driver’s license, access to a vehicle and insurance papers.
Daniels said, “Students can have their pass revoked along with a $5 fee when driving reckless.”
The biggest mystery behind parking passes is where the money goes.
“The money goes to various things to help the students,” Daniels said. “It has gone to cafeteria TVs, the benches outside at the bus stop and some of the paint.”
Matt Adkins, 10th and 12th grade assistant principal at CMHS, said, “I think it’s a good idea to charge for parking passes because it helps with maintenance.”
Although the money goes into various things some students do not agree with the price.
“I don’t think it’s a really a fair price, because I don’t really see improvements out there,” a CMHS senior said. “I think the prices are extensive for the benefits provided.”
Parking passes are not used for assigned parking spots; however, they are used for identification purposes. Adkins monitors and checks each car twice a day at the beginning of the year. During the second semester he checks for passes once or twice a week during grab and go. Adkins checks the cars for a parking pass on the windshield or dashboard.
Daniels said, “If your vehicle is found without a parking pass your license plate is written down and given to Officer Romero.”
Before Officer Romero is given the report, Adkins monitors the parking lot along with 11th grade assistant principal, David Hetzer.
“They are charging you to park for no reason, it’s like charging you to park at Walmart,” a sophomore at CMHS said. “If they should charge you it should be $10 or $15.”
Another CMHS senior has a different perspective on the parking passes.
“If you have a car you should have a job and be able to afford the responsibility of driving to school,” a CMHS senior said.