Entering a New Decade

fanpop.com

Hannah Tomes, Editor

Four weeks from today it will be January 1 and the start of a new decade, the 2020’s. A lot has happened over the last ten years and it feels like it has flown by. Most of us went through part of elementary school, middle school, and high school during that time, which is hard to believe. Here are some memorable things that happened in the 2010’s that some people might have forgotten about.

-The first iPad came out

The first iPad was released in 2010 but it feels like it has been around for much longer. I remember getting my own iPad when I was in fifth grade and I was so excited.

-The song “Friday” by Rebecca Black was released

This song came out in 2011 but I feel like it wasn’t that long ago. Most people I knew hated it but I guess it was pretty popular.

-“Gangnam Style” became the most watched video ever

We all remember this iconic song that everyone was obsessed with for a while. It became the most watched video in 2012. It was pretty catchy and people would always try to re-create the dance, including me and my friends.

-“What does the fox say” went viral

This song came out in 2013 and everyone went wild over it. I heard this song constantly throughout middle school and I’ll admit I didn’t hate it.

-The ice bucket challenge became popular

I never did the ice bucket challenge but in 2014 it seemed like everyone was doing it. It actually helped raise a lot of money for good causes so it turned out to be a positive thing.

-Everyone was fighting over the dress

In 2015 people on the internet were arguing about that picture of the dress that was either gold/white or blue/black. It seems like it was such a long time ago to me but it’s only been four years!

-Vine shut down

It was a sad day when the Vine app shut down in 2016. Other apps like Musical.ly and Tik Tok have attempted to take its place but nothing will ever truly replace the original.

-Fidget spinners came out

In 2017 fidget spinners rapidly became popular. I remember different schools were banning them and kids kept getting in trouble for playing with them during class.

-The Royal Wedding happened

Everyone freaked out about the wedding with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in 2018. I personally didn’t care that much but so many people were talking about watching it on TV. I feel like this happened a long time ago so it’s weird to think it was only last year.

A lot of crazy things have happened over the years and in 2019 as well. I will never forget this time of my life since I basically grew up during it. Let’s hope the 2020’s are even better!