Students reach out to help others during the holiday season

www.valueslessons.nz.com

During the holiday season, CMHS does a shoebox drive, in addition to other fundraising activities.

Peyton Johnson, Staff Reporter

With the holiday season approaching, many students around Cabell Midland are getting into the spirit. When many people think of Christmas time, the first thing to come to mind is gifts, but a more rewarding way to celebrate the holidays can be through volunteering.
“Christmas, to me, means time with your family and loved ones,” said junior Hannah Cogar. “There is a lot more than just receiving to focus on.”
Cogar, a member of the Interact Club, shared how they plan to help those in need this season.
“We are selling hot chocolate to raise money for the Scleroderma Foundation,” said Cogar. “I think it is important to help people locally and those who suffer from illnesses.”
Latin Honorary is another club that volunteers during the holiday season by donating supplies to the Cabell-Wayne Animal Shelter annually, and even sponsors a dog.
The Health Occupations Students of America, or HOSA club focuses not only on Christmas time charities, but Thanksgiving as well.
“We’re currently doing a canned food drive,” said HOSA member and junior Logan Carson. “We hope to be able to help those in need still enjoy Thanksgiving and have something to be thankful for.”
Not only are the extra-curricular groups of Cabell Midland doing their part, but individual students have stepped up as well. This includes junior Jozi Morrison, who is an active member of her church and enjoys giving her time to help others.
“Our church is doing Christmas In a Shoe Box, which gives gifts to little kids,” said Morrison. “My favorite experience volunteering was a few years ago when I served in a soup kitchen. It felt great to assist the people who might otherwise go hungry.”
While it is often easy to forget what the holidays are all about, helping others through volunteering and community service seems to be popular among the student body.
“It is a great way to remember the true reason for the season,” said Morrison. “Personally, it makes me feel better to give than to receive.”