Sincerely, The Class of 2020

Class+of+2020%3A%0ABorn+to+Make+a+Lot+of+History%2C+Apparently+

Elizabeth Simmons

Class of 2020: Born to Make a Lot of History, Apparently

Elizabeth Simmons, Editor

If you were to ask me how I was going to spend the last few months of my senior year, I never would have told you, “spending it in lockdown because of a global pandemic.” 

I would have told you, “I’m going to spend every moment how I should have spent the moments before.” 

Now that my senior year has been stripped of its last few months and most of my final few moments have been taken (and the last of them remain in the air), I took an evening to reflect on some of the most amazing moments of my high school career so that I can write this letter for all of the underclassmen – and future underclassmen – at the castle. 

Dear Future Classes,

I wish you the best, roaming these halls. I hope you find a place among those around you, as everyone struggles to do at first. I hope those I know and leave behind are willing to help you as much as they can.

I hope you find a teacher that inspires you and pushes you to do your best. I hope you find at least one that shows you that you are more than a test score, more than a GPA, more than a scholarship. I hope they show you the way in the dark as they did for me, and they help guide you on your journey.

I hope you find a group you stick with, be it a team, club, or just your own little clique. I hope they keep you safe and they help you through all your battles because being a teenager can suck at times. It gets tough. It gets ugly. 

I hope you make friends. I hope you lose some. Not to be mean, but because you need to grow. I hope you lose the ones you outgrow. I hope you find ones you never thought you’d find. I hope you meet them in your senior year and you think to yourself, “I wish I could’ve met you ages ago.” I hope these are the ones that last most of your life, because they know where you’ve come from and they understand where you want to go.

I hope you become a leader in some way. I hope you become a captain, president, editor, or even just the group leader for your projects in class. I hope you can break out of your shell. I hope your time in high school shows you how to lead a group of people to the finish line, not to boss them around, but to guide them and be there along the way.

I hope you remember all of your accomplishments from the beginning of high school until the end. Every mundane thing, from winning the science award in the first nine weeks of freshman year to winning a statewide writing award in your junior year. I hope you think back on these times and remember how hard you worked. 

I hope you remember all the small accomplishments, too. The things that may seem small to someone else, and you didn’t receive an award for, but to you, they will seem amazing. Re-discovering yourself and your values, standing up for yourself when it’s not easy, learning how to paintball, learning to ice skate, having a sweet sixteen, etc. I hope you know these have value too, and it’s because you have assigned them value. You deserve to know this.

I hope you discover love. I don’t necessarily mean a relationship with a lover. But I hope you love someone. I hope you fall in love with yourself, at the very least, because there is no one in the world that deserves more love than you. And, if your love does go to someone else and they end up undeserving, I hope you learn to move on. I hope you learn to be the best version of yourself.

I hope you decide upon your future, be it a college, trade school, workforce, whatever. I hope you buy your cap and gown as soon as possible and you walk on that stage and decorate your cap and smile in your senior pictures for your parents and guardians. 

I hope you go to the football games all of your high school years, not just senior year. I hope you dress up. I hope you scream your head off and cheer for our touchdowns and boo at the other team. I hope you throw confetti and feel the energy. I hope you spend your Friday nights under the lights with your best friends. 

I hope you go to homecoming every year, dressed up, looking your best, taking pictures, the whole nine-yards. I hope you go to prom too. I hope you get up the nerve to ask the girl – or the guy – to go with you. I hope you take a group of friends. I hope you realize that these are your last few years and you don’t get them back. 

I hope you get out of class a couple times for a “fire” or a power outage. I hope you get to call your parents and say “school is out early because something crazy happened!” but you are unharmed. 

I hope you get your license, but not too soon, because having your parents to drive you around is a blessing. Your parents knowing your best friends is the best thing. If your parents can have those last few moments before you leave, let them. 

I urge you to travel as much as you can. Like I said, I never thought I’d spend these months cooped up in my house, abandoning plans to travel with my friends and family. But I am thankful I have been nearly everywhere I’ve wanted to go anyway. If you are presented with the opportunity to travel during your years at the castle, take it. 

Most importantly, I hope you are not “safe at home” during the finality of your senior year, but I do hope that you have the chance to live out your time at the castle well, and that you can take advantage of every experience we may not. 

Enjoy Your Time and Spend it Well!

Here, At the Castle

Sincerely,

The Class of 2020