Mere’s Motivation: May

“Opportunity does not waste time with those who are unprepared.”

In this article, reporter Meredith Mears discusses how to potentially score higher on the ACT or SAT!

uwimages - Fotolia

“Opportunity does not waste time with those who are unprepared.” In this article, reporter Meredith Mears discusses how to potentially score higher on the ACT or SAT!

Meredith Mears, Reporter

Since the WV Higher Education Committee extended the Promise Scholarship opportunity until the end of October, I decided to make a motivation to give students the edge they need to perform the best on their college entrance test even though we have been away from school for months now. It is very easy to lose motivation will all this time off.

Preparing for success takes time. With anything in life, you can not expect to perform your greatest without preparation. Spending ample time in preparing for college entrance tests, will be the gateway to achieving the score I worked for. The types of test preparation that I use to increase my test scores are watching online tutor videos, taking practice tests, and participating in review classes.

Without a doubt, preparation takes time. Throughout spending multiple hours trying to learn how to best prepare for my tests, I learned that I could make preparation fun and not boring. I started watching prep videos online since I am a visual learner. By watching step by step videos helped increased my score by three whole points on the ACT. I would often take notes on the topics that I have forgotten or didn’t feel as confident in so that I could practice for later. The videos kept me engaged and focused since I am someone whose mind wanders or gets uninterested easily. The videos were a huge step in success with my test preparation.

Furthermore, taking practice tests provided insights into what areas I need more work on. I also learned the format of certain questions and the time I was allotted for each section. With the practice tests, I was able to get an estimate score to see where I was projected to score. The practice tests also allowed me to implement test-taking strategies like the process of elimination as an example.  

Lastly, instead of taking a fun elective class in my junior year, I took an ACT prep class. I wanted to work hard for the opportunity. In the class, I was able to see the common topics that my peers were also struggling with. We were also able to work as a group and partners on topics that were easily missed on the tests. The teacher planned fun games that made learning fun and made the tips stick easier to remember.  

To sum it up, “Opportunity does not waste time with those who are unprepared.” You have to prepare to perform your best. In my case providing quality over quantity in test preparation is key. By using sufficient materials like watching online tutor videos, taking practice tests, and participating in review classes were key in preparing for my college entrance tests.

I hope you all try your best during these difficult times and know that hard work does pay off. I wish you all the best and I hope you all work hard to get the score you deserve. 

Sadly as the school year comes to an end so does my Mere’s Motivation column. I had a great run with my column. I love being able to give other motivation. I hope that someone starts their own column like I did next year. I wish you all the best and hope you all stay safe. This isn’t goodbye this is just a see you later.