My Quarantine Experience and Some Advice

Photo credit: Northwell Health

Dylan Andrus, Reporter

Recently, I have had the unique experience of being quarantined by the Health Department, along with several other students and teachers at Midland, due to coming into contact with an individual who tested positive for COVID-19. This is, of course, a new and challenging situation. As such, I’d like to talk about what this has entailed for me and some advice I have for anyone else in a similar scenario to keep them sane.

The first few days were the hardest, of course. I was angry at the general scenario, and had to process that a bit. I then had to adjust to living in my windowless COVID bunker that rests the deepest depths of my basement. I certainly wouldn’t describe this as a fun time, and it became very boring very quickly. On the positive however, I was able to catch up on school work and some streaming services. The overall struggle really amounted to trying to keep myself occupied.

Now for my advice. Firstly, as previously mentioned, now’s better than ever to catch up on any school work you might have neglected to do. Even if it’s mind-numbing, it’s better than sitting in a room doing nothing. Along with this, general reading isn’t too bad either if you have any books on hand. I would also recommend sporadic exercise sessions; if things just start getting mundane, jump around a little, do jumping jacks, run in place, etc. This helps keep your health up and provides a nice boost to your day. Finally, if it’s possible, play some online games. Social connection is required for good mental health, so playing a few rounds in a multiplayer game can help you get just a bit of social connection to ease your mind. Video chatting with friends and family is important too, but they may not be available at any given moment.

To conclude, just remain calm and try to make the best of it. I’m about seven days through my fourteen-day stint and I’m still chugging. After all, quarantine is ultimately a personal inconvenience to ensure the health of those around you. Stay safe out there!