Spiritual Cleansing

http://www.one2onephysicaltherapy.com/blog/identifying-and-treating-pain-from-nerve-tension/

Hattie Colegrove, Reporter

Going back to school can be extremely tough for many students. Adjusting to class work, a new schedule, or even a new school can be a hassle. The thing many people do not know is that your spiritual health is greatly connected to your mental and physical health. You have to be healthy in all three to feel the best possible. Some topics for spiritual beginners include meditation, breathing techniques, grounding and calming sensory techniques.

When first learning meditation, you want to know it isn’t weird or strange. It is one of the oldest relaxation techniques used, and it can be traced back to 3,000 years ago. Meditation can help you be more focused, relaxed and be less reactive. Usually the first time is always hard, and you will find your mind running a thousand miles per hour. You should find a comfortable position, close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Reaching awareness does not take skill, and if you can’t reach it, it doesn’t mean you’re a bad meditator. A great breathing technique is to breathe in through your nose for a count of three seconds and out your mouth for five seconds. Continue this strategy and remain as still as possible, and once you realize your mind is free of distraction, you’ve reached awareness. Usually calming background music can help you get into the correct mindset.

Grounding is an amazing way to connect with the world around you. Those who have grounded before say it stabilizes your energy, draws energy from the Earth, and brings you to a positive state of being. Grounding is fairly simple, and only takes an open mind. Walk barefooted to find a place in the grass around your home, or anywhere you feel comfortable. To do this all you must do is stand or sit firmly on the ground. While breathing deeply, imagine you are connected to the Earth. Some even imagine they are tree roots extending above surface. Remember spirituality takes a willing mind and you must do what makes you feel connected. Remaining in this position you can imagine energy flowing throughout your body and out your hands if you wish to stretch your arms up to the sky. There are many different ways to do this, and you can continue until you feel relaxed. Just take deep breaths of fresh air and imagine positive energy flowing throughout and around you.

Another technique to learn to stay calm and positive during challenging times are sensory stimulants. This would include burning incense, using crystals, and listening to the Earth or music. The smell of incense can calm the mind and maybe even remind you of fond memories. A personal favorite is patchouli and frankincense because the Earthy scents make me feel as if I’m walking in the forest surrounded by large trees, fresh dirt and leaves. Just a calming atmosphere for myself to relax in. Some rely on crystal work to manifest their intentions. Crystals are known to hold energy and depending on the type of crystal you own you can direct energy to the crystal and share energies. You would also want to learn to cleanse your crystals, yet that’s a story for another time! Lastly, music can set the mind free. Meditation music aids in relaxation and also calming the mind. The effect of music can slow heart rates and even bring about emotions.

Whatever new relaxation technique you would like to try, I say give it a shot! You never know until you find what works for you. You may not believe in these useful strategies, but those connected to the Earth feel a deeper meaning to life. These strategies could hopefully reset your mind after a big change in life. I hope you attempt at least one technique for a greater spiritual health.