Students Adjust to Life After High School

Mason Flynn

Many students are already starting to plan their futures.

Alannah Stone, Editor-in-Chief

Many high school students envision their life after high school, and Midland’s previously graduated seniors have a few words of advice.
“Make sure to learn good study habits and time management,” said college freshman, Heather Barker. “If you don’t do everything in a timely manner, it will catch up to you quickly.”
One of the main decisions when it comes to college is the choice to go away or not, and while the choice to leave home may be a scary one, it can pay off in the long run.
“My favorite part so far was moving to a totally new place and meeting new people,” said college freshman Tessa Bartee. “It was pretty terrifying at first not knowing a single person here, but it was worth it.”
As for living in dorms, it can be a different experience for everyone.
“I like living in the dorms,” said Bartee. “I’d way rather live in the dorms than drive here every day. It’s not bad at all really minus the fact that we don’t have air conditioning. Most of the people don’t like their roommate, though, but I got lucky and we get along really well.”
Living at home can have its own perks, but it can also provide some obstacles for some students.
“The best thing about living at home is that I can still be around my family, but it sucks because I can’t really get that involved in activities and groups when I’m home most of the time,” said college freshman Alicia Pelfrey. “Plus, because I commute, I don’t get to sleep in as much as say someone on campus would, so I take more time to get to school and my classes.”
When it comes to college’s similarities to high school, there are not as many as one might imagine.
“College is different in the sense that you have more freedom,” said Bartee. “I wasn’t really prepared at all because high school has so many rules and they give you everything, but in college you just have to figure out on your own basically. I’m not responsible enough for this.”
When it comes to the first day of school, Pelfrey has one word of advice.
“I’d just say to treat your syllabi like it’s a gift sent from above, because it literally tells you everything you need to know from what one classes homework is to when all your assignments are due.”