“Burning Blue” Book Review

yabookqueen.blogspot.com

Burning Blue is a very exciting and heart wrenching book.

Jesten Richardson, Assistant Editor

I didn’t start Paul Griffin’s “Burning Blue” with the highest expectations, as it was a book that I had picked up from Ollie’s instead of a book store with all the current reads. The basis seemed interesting enough, but I wasn’t sure about it…until I opened up to the first page.
“Burning Blue” is the story of high school student Nicole Castro—a girl that is brilliant, beautiful, rich and thought to be the stereotypical popular; it is also the story of Jay Nazzaro, a boy who finds himself to be just the opposite. Jay and Nicole don’t move in the same circles or really see each other at all at until the event occurs that will change her life forever.
It is just a normal day when the attack comes. All Nicole sees is the squirt bottle before the pain begins… and the questions. Who would do this? Why do this? Why the girl that had a spectacular future waiting for her? After meeting the famed Nicole and seeing a pain that he is all too familiar with, Jay is willing to use every skill in his personal arsenal to make sure that she gets relief. But it won’t be a safe investigation. And there is more than just hearts at risk as the evidence piles up and points to practically everyone but Jay himself.
The reason that the first page impressed me so much was that it wasn’t your typical Chapter One. It all started with an email so intense that I do not want to give it away, but I can safely say that it will yank you in before you can take a breath. It is almost impossible to escape the grip of this novel as it explores the impact of beauty and just how far people are willing to go to get want they want out of life. The writing and characters were remarkable, and I found the use of Nicole’s diary entries and the perpetrators emails to be an intriguing tool to keep my interest through the whole thing. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone that enjoys intense books with some romance and a multitude of hidden motives.