Teachers Reflect on Past Gifts from Students

Jesten Richardson

Math teacher Amy Cobb enjoys quotes, so a student incorporated that into her gift.

Jesten Richardson, Assistant Editor

The holiday season is drawing nearer, which means it is time to start thinking about holiday cheer and what gifts will bring the greatest amount of it.
Though many agree that gifts are by no means the most important part of the season, some find it to be very enjoyable to purchase something that is just right with their own money or to make something equally thoughtful.
Family and friends are often easier to pick out or make gifts for, but getting it just right for that favorite teacher can be remarkably more difficult.
Fortunately, teachers Don Scalise and Amy Cobb have provided advice on the best kind of student gifts and what makes them special.
“Find something unique to the teacher’s personality,” said Scalise. “My favorite gifts show me that my students do not just pay attention to what I am teaching, but they also pay attention to what I am like.”
Scalise wasn’t the only one that appreciated students putting forth a great deal of effort in gifts.
“My favorite gift meant a lot to me because I could tell that she (the giver) spent a lot of time on it,” said Cobb. “I could tell that it was very heartfelt.”
Heartfelt gifts seemed to resonate the most with both teachers, and there were many gifts to exhibit as examples of students’ thoughtfulness.
“Just last year, I had a student buy me a little box with inspirational words on the outside,” said Cobb. “She took time to fill the box with quotes for whenever I’m having a bad day. She also put words that make her think of me on the lid.”
Some of Scalise’s students have equally showcased their knowledge of their teacher and what he would enjoy in the past years.
According to Scalise, a few favorite gifts that he had received in the past are a coffee cup with his name engraved on it, a Starbucks gift card and a witty sign that is in the shape of a pencil and that has the words “You’re one sharp teacher” printed on it.
Though the pressure may seem great to find something perfect, stressing is not advised.
“I don’t think that any teacher expects a gift,” said Cobb. “But, if you do get one, put thought behind it and buy it with your heart. Do it not out of obligation, but just because.”