The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

Teen Pregnancy: Discouraged, but not Discriminated.

Teen pregnancy is a complex issue that requires accommodating and supportive measures, rather than discrimination or stigmatization. While it is crucial to discourage teen pregnancy due to its potential negative consequences, it is equally important to provide pregnant teens with the necessary resources, guidance and education to ensure their well-being and the well-being of their children. This article explores the responsibilities society has in assisting pregnant teens and provides valuable tips on contraception, birth control and abstinence.  

First and foremost, discouraging teen pregnancy should not involve discrimination or judgment toward the individuals involved. It is essential to remember that these teens are vulnerable individuals who require support and understanding during the challenging journey of motherhood. Labeling or shaming them can lead to further isolation and decision-making based on fear or desperation, which might not be in the best interest of the mother or the child.  

Instead, society needs to focus on providing pregnant teens with the information and resources they need to make informed decisions and ensure their reproductive health. One of the most effective ways to prevent teen pregnancy is through education on contraception and birth control methods. Teens should be informed about the various options available, such as condoms, birth control pills, intrauterine devices (IUDs) and implants. They should also receive guidance on how to use these methods correctly and the importance of consistency.  

Moreover, promoting abstinence to prevent teen pregnancy should be integral to education programs. While abstinence may not always be the chosen path, it remains a reliable method of preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. By teaching teens about the benefits and other options available, they can make informed decisions about their sexual activity.  

When considering the statistics on teen pregnancy in schools across America, it becomes evident that comprehensive sex education is vital. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 194,377 babies were born to teenage mothers in the United States in 2018 alone. The rates of teen pregnancy vary across states and communities. However, it is a nationwide issue that demands attention and action from parents, schools and society as a whole.  

To better understand the experiences of a teen mother, I had the privilege of interviewing Sarah Jones, a 23-year-old who became a mother at the age of 16. Jones shared the challenges she faced, such as a lack of emotional support, financial struggles and the overwhelming responsibility of caring for a child at such a young age. However, Jones also highlighted the joys and personal growth she experienced, emphasizing the love and fulfillment her child brings to her life. “It was the hardest thing I’ve ever experienced, but I wouldn’t trade [her] for the world”. Jones stressed the importance of access to contraception, education and support systems to empower pregnant teens to make informed choices and navigate their new roles as mothers.