The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

Gallipolis in Lights and Dirty Birds Light the Night

Gallipolis in Lights is an annual holiday display located in the southeastern Ohio town of Gallipolis. Located in Gallipolis City Park, Gallipolis in Lights begins each year with the official park lighting held on November 22, staying up until January 1.  

Set up annually by a group of dedicated community volunteers, their hard work and dedication is what made the Gallipolis in Lights Christmas display recognized as the Today Show’s Merriest Main Street in 2022. Because the decorations are so elaborate, I think it deserves the recognition. 

The entire park is lit up with colorful lights, in the form of Christmas trees and holiday characters, with classic Christmas music playing throughout the park. My favorite part of the park had to be the center square, because of the beautifully decorated wreaths, and the vendor selling hot chocolate in the square.

Dirty Birds Light the Night is a holiday light show located in GoMart Ballpark in Charleston, West Virginia, home of the Atlantic League baseball team the Charleston Dirty Birds. Dirty Birds Light the Night spans from Nov. 17 to Jan. 1. This is the event’s first year, though Dirty Birds owner Andy Shea says he hopes to make it an annual tradition. 

On the field is a large maze of lights encompassing the entire park along with an ice-skating rink, though there is more to do on the concourse. You can grab a snack at a food truck, ride the train or ferris wheel, or just walk around and enjoy the lights. 

Overall, both Gallipolis in Lights and Dirty Birds Light the Night had a great atmosphere and are some of the best light displays to visit around Christmastime.