The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

Should Cell Phones be Banned in Schools?

There are many people that think cell phones should be completely banned in school. TheCentralTrend.com says, “Schools are finding creative ways to stop students from using their cellphones during the day, fueling debates about the effectiveness and wisdom of such bans.” Would a complete cell phone ban be appropriate for Cabell Midland? 

There are some pros to banning cell phones. One pro is that it keeps student off them, forcing them to focus more than normal. It will also cut down on students texting answers to each other and cheating on quizzes and assignments. Another pro is that it will keep the students from wanting to get on them to check social media like Snap Chat and TikTok—reducing distractions and cyber bullying during the school day. 

A major con is students not being able to get ahold of their parents in case of an emergency, or if an event comes up at school and you need let a parent know of transportation changes. 

Mrs. Crawford (9th grade principal) stated, “I think cell phones are a distraction to a certain extent. There are multiple pros and cons to banning cell phones completely, but I don’t think that students need to have very limited cell phone use throughout the school day. Banning cell phones helps increase students’ attention to academics and decreases the amount of discipline associated with cell phone use/misuse. For example, if two students film a fight, they will get equal discipline. This will also help keep students’ privacy out of the community, by students taking videos and pictures and posting it on social media.” 

Some schools have partnered with companies to implement the use of pouches that students are required to put their phones into at the beginning of the day and that don’t unlock until the final bell rings. Yonder Bags lock up the students’ phones to keep them from getting on them during the school day. The bags have a special magnet to keep phones safely stowed away. When asked about Yondr Bags Lucian Martin (9th grade) said, “I think they are a really smart way to keep phones out of school, but I think there is other ways to do it.”  

When interviewed about cell phone banning, a student said that “I don’t like not being able to get ahold of parents and get on Snap Chat.” Many students were asked about not using Snap Chat in school. Some of them said that they are fine with it, and it doesn’t bother them at all, but some students said that they need to talk to friends throughout the day. 

Lucian Martin said about not being able to use his phone in school: “I am okay with it, and It doesn’t bother me.” He said it doesn’t bother him because he has a sister that goes here and if he needs something he goes to her. Also, student Wesley Moore (9th grade) said, “I think no phones in school is a good thing, and I think that it will help people learn more and not get distracted.”  

Mrs. Jarrett (9th grade teacher) stated, ‘’ I think that banning cell phones will help students learn, so they are not distracted”. Mrs. Jarrett also said that, “I think Yondr Bags would be nice to have, so I don’t have to keep looking for phones to be out.” 

After taking into consideration all this information, I think that it would be good to have cell phones banned in schools. I think it will help students with increasing their grades and limit distractions.