The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

Threat to the JROTC program

The Airforce JROTC program has been recently threatened to be shut down due to its lack of students in the program. For the JROTC program to stay open, there has to be at least 100 students in the program but unfortunately, there are currently only 60 students in the program. This led the program to be shut down.  Students have wondered what will be done to keep the program open.

The Cabell midland JROTC program could be deactivated by end of the school year. The program has been on probation for the last five years because of the low numbers. According to The Herald Dispatch: “During a Board of Education work session Monday, Cabell Midland High senior aerospace science instructor Maj. Hank Luke said despite having a lower enrollment, with only 60 students, his students have been successful.”

The reason why the program has received such a high threat is because there’s not enough people in the class. A student must be in the program for four years to be a JROTC completer. There are only five seniors this year who have been in the program all four years. Hank Luke said “I would expect to keep many more than five completers, but that’s because we’re not starting with a big number, we’re starting with a low number. We’re starting with 19, we need to really start with 40 freshmen.” If they can get more people in the middle schools to recruit kids then they would have higher numbers.  I believe that they should go to the middle schools and tell them what’s possible in the program then maybe more people would join.

While the instructors have received this notice, they are still trying to find ways to keep it open. Cabell County Schools Superintendent Ryan Saxe said “I’ll be honest with you, a program that has 60 students is not a program that anybody should stop. That’s pretty decent enrollment, but if it’s not what the Air Force is requiring then we need to figure out a way to try to address that.” Since Cabell Midland high school only has 1,800 students attending, some believe the required number should be lowered for the program. Some students in the program think that it should be a requirement of 80 students. Some even think it should be 60 or 50. The class has seen great accomplishments come from just 60 students.

Even though the JROTC class has been threatened with shut down, the program doesn’t plan to slow down. The class is doing everything they can to keep the program open for at least one more year to get more people into the program.