The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

Love, Selena

Love%2C+Selena
Google

Having been in the spotlight since she played a teenager in Disney’s “Wizards of Waverly Place”, Selena Gomez’s dating history is filled with famous relationships and plenty of controversy (sometimes unwarranted). 

Gomez’s boyfriend has always been a huge topic of conversation on the internet for some reason. Although they broke up years ago and Justin Bieber has been happily married to Hailey Bieber since 2019, people still talk about her relationship with the singer/songwriter. 

In the years since that breakup (in 2018), Gomez is rumored to have been dating a few other famous Hollywood men, including Orlando Bloom, The Weeknd and Taylor Lautner. Gomez recently made headlines after she was spotted kissing Gigi Hadid’s ex-boyfriend Zayn Malik. Let’s look back at Gomez’s dating history while we wait to find out if her relationship with the former One Directioner is official (or just a casual date). 

2008: Teenage Heartthrob 

The first public relationship Gomez had was with teenage heartthrob Nick Jonas. There were rumors that Miley Cyrus, (who dated Nick Jonas during the late 00s), and Nick Jonas were in the middle of a heated feud during the time of Gomez’s song, “Lose You to Love Me.” 

During a 2016 interview with W Magazine, Gomez quickly shot down those rumors. “We never feuded. We both liked the same guy when we were 16. It was just a Hilary Duff–Lindsay Lohan thing: ‘Oh, my God, we like the same boy!’ We are now completely settled in our own lives.” 

It was Gomez’s relationship with Nick Jonas that brought her and Taylor Swift together. At the time, Swift was dating Nick’s brother Joe.  

Nick recalled their double date at the time on BBC Radio 1. “We were in Central Park, and we were very private about our relationship,” he told “I walked about 20 feet away from her. Even though they were taking pictures of us and obviously we were there together it was like, ‘It would be better if we stand about 25 feet apart.’ So, it ruined her Central Park experience, so her and Taylor Swift, who was dating my brother Joe walked 25 feet behind us as we walked through the park by ourselves.” 

2009: Wolf Boy 

In 2009, Gomez was in Vancouver filming “Ramona and Beezus.”At the same time, Taylor Lautner was in town filming “Twilight: New Moon.” Initially, sparks flew between the two, but they soon fizzled out.  

In an interview with Seventeen, Gomez confirmed their split, saying the media coverage was too much. “We would go out to lunch and dinner, but I knew he had paparazzi following him, and I had paparazzi following me. People were getting a little crazy about us.” 

According to reports, Gomez’s bestie Taylor Swift dated Taylor Lautner in 2009 – but it did not interfere with their friendship. 

2010-2014: JeLena 

This list is sure to include Justin Bieber’s name more than once due to his and Gomez’s on and off relationship. Their first four years together were quite boring, though. They met via Bieber’s then-manager Scooter Braun, after Bieber said Gomez was his celebrity crush. 

They initially denied dating rumors by saying they were just friends but went public in early 2011 after paparazzi caught them kissing on a yacht in St. Lucia. 

The couple broke up briefly at the end of 2012, and then were on again in April 2013. 

The infamous couple then officially split up in late-2014, and the following year Bieber spoke to Complex about their relationship, saying, “I moved in with my girlfriend when I was 18. Started my own life with her. It was a marriage kind of thing. Living with a girl, it was just too much at that age. But we were so in love. Nothing else mattered. We were all about each other. But when it’s like that and you get your value from that, people will always disappoint you.” 

2014: Who? 

Almost immediately after her breakup with Justin Bieber, Gomez was seen with Orlando Bloom. Whether they officially dated or not – the two were only seen enjoying time together in LA – things died down as fast as they started. 

2015: EDM Era and Breaking Up Boy Bands 

After collabing on new music, sparks flew between the German DJ, Zedd and Gomez. After being pictured leaving the Golden Globe Awards together, the couple shared pictures of their relationship on social media. Zedd even visited the Atlanta set of Gomez’s movie, “The Fundamentals Of Caregiving”, posing in a group photo next to the star. 

By mid-2015, the couple had split. Another DJ, Diplo, claimed their relationship was a publicity stunt for their music. Gomez addressed this on The Edge Afternoons, saying Diplo was joking and adding “I adore Anton [Zedd] a lot, and I definitely had a thing with him, which was nice.”  

Nearing the end of 2015, love was in the air for Gomez again. This time with Niall Horan. First, the One Direction lover boy was spotted having dinner with Gomez. However, sources claimed they were just friends. Then, E! News reported that the couple had been seen kissing at Jenna Dewan’s 35th birthday party. 

Although she was spotted liking a long stream of Horan’s Instagram posts and reports continued about the pair making out through December, Gomez always claimed nothing was going on. “Oh my god! No. I love him, I always have. He’s amazing,” she said of the rumors. 

2016: A Not So Summer Romance and Perfect Pitch 

Not long after Horan, Gomez was linked to Fyre Festival booker Samuel Krost. At the time, Krost was a close friend of Gigi Hadid’s and a merchandising executive. Krost and Gomez were seen together in New York, and then on a vacation picture on Krost’s Instagram. 

Though, Gomez never established the romance. She frequently claimed she was single during their rumored relationship. Things appeared to be over fast, but Krost later posted on Instagram in August 2016, saying (then deleting) “All you superficial who are just unhappy with your love lives, understand that love is real. Although we have ventured on separate paths, at least I know that love exists. I love you, Sel.” 

After their hit song, “We Don’t Talk Anymore,” rumors soared that Gomez was dating Charlie Puth. Gomez never confirmed this, however Puth soon told Billboard “I don’t kiss and tell, but the only way a song like that can come across as real is if there’s something else going on behind the scenes. And that’s what was happening. Very short-lived, very small, but very impactful.” 

Puth continued with “it really messed me up. I’m trying to put this the best way possible: It wasn’t like I was the only person on her mind. And I think I knew that going in — what I was getting myself into.” 

2017: A Weeknd or a Year? 

Contestably her second-most famous relationship, Gomez dated The Weeknd in 2017. Considering he had just split from long-time girlfriend, Bella Hadid, their relationship raised some eyebrows. Never mind the haters, the two stayed happy together for about a year. 

They were first seen together in January 2017, by April they were posting photos together on Instagram. They then made it red carpet-official by going to the 2017 Met Gala as a couple. 

Things didn’t go as well later in the year, however. People reported that their split was caused by distance and clashing schedules. Fans speculated that The Weeknd’s song “Call Out My Name” alludes to Gomez seeing the infamous ex-boyfriend, Justin Bieber, with lyrics such as “Guess I was just another pit stop/’Til you made up your mind/You just wasted my time.” 

2017-2018: Love Yourself 

First, Bieber and Gomez were noticed attending a church service. Then it was back on again for Jelena, as they took tandem bike rides together and kissing in public. However, this romance was extremely short-lived. To fans dislike, the couple broke up for good in March 2018, and by June, he was officially dating Hailey Baldwin. 

2022: Italian Smokers

If a stunning Italian Canadian film producer invites you to vacation on a yacht in Positano, you go. In this case, Gomez agrees, because that’s how her relationship with Andrea Iervolino began in 2022. 

However, once again, Gomez didn’t confirm, nor deny, the rumors. Whatever was going on – if anything – between her and Iervolino was nothing but a fling. 

Later that year, Gomez was with The Chainsmokers’, Drew Taggart. The news came via Us Weekly, where a source said, “They aren’t trying to hide their romance by sneaking around at members only clubs,” and that their relationship was “low key.” 

But Gomez decided to go to Instagram to cancel the rumors, sharing a post with the hashtag “#iamsingle.” 

2023: Same Band, Different Boy 

The internet spiraled after news broke that Zayn Malik and Gomez had been noted kissing in New York. As reported by Entertainment Tonight, Malik and Gomez were seen going to a restaurant together. “They walked in holding hands and were kissing,” an eyewitness said. “Most restaurant staff and restaurant-goers didn’t notice them. It seemed like they were comfortable together and it was clear that it was a date.” 

Gomez’s rumored relationship with Malik is possibly the most disputable romance she has had in years, involving a social media situation with Bella Hadid – whose sister Gigi has a son with Malik. 

A source later told Us Weekly that Gigi Hadid is encouraging of the alleged relationship. “Gigi has no problem whatsoever with Zayn dating,” the insider stated. “As long as he is happy and stable and continues to be a good coparent to [their daughter] Khai, she’s fine with whoever he goes out with.” 

2023-2024: No Longer Lonely 

Early December 2023, Gomez left a web of comments on Instagram that ultimately confirmed her romantic connection with music producer, Benny Blanco. “He is my absolute everything in my heart,” she proclaimed to her fans, only weeks after rumors had come about that they were together. 

After the Golden Globes at the Beverly Hilton, Gomez shared multiple behind-the-scenes snaps from the night, including a romantic shot of herself and her lover in a quiet room—in her full red-carpet look—giving him a passionate kiss. “I won,” Gomez wrote over the memory. 

Seeing where Gomez’s love has been, it’s hard to tell where her love lies next. Nevertheless, we’ll all love the star’s relationships (and the drama).