The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

The Medieval Times

Is Technology a Help or Hindrance to the School System?

“Blended learning” or teaching with technology has become a much-debated topic over the past decade, with parents and teachers hotly evaluating the pros and cons.  With the rapid advancements in technology, it is only natural that teachers and students alike would want to incorporate these new and exciting tools into the classroom.   

Many educators and parents have shared the colossal potential that technology holds in schools.  This was never more apparent than during the COVID-19 pandemic when virtually all school systems had to rely on technology to deliver content to students at home. In the wake of the pandemic, according to the World Economic Forum, the educational technology market is going to hit above $342 billion by 2025.  

Many learning platforms, such as IXL and Khan Academy, can pinpoint learning deficits and assign individualized content.  Online platforms are beneficial to classroom teachers because they can easily adjust to the different levels that students are on, such as reading levels or math ability. This adjustability differentiates instruction for all levels of learners. These platforms also give teachers immediate data, as well as students’ instantaneous feedback on assignments and goals. According to Project Tomorrow, an educational research group, 59 percent of middle school students say digital educational tools have helped them with their grades and test scores. 

Technology is only growing, and students need to harness this technology.  The classroom is the perfect place for students to build skills and digital literacy, in a safe environment. Most students love technology, so it is a great way for teachers to increase engagement.  

Some disadvantages come along with incorporating technology into the classroom.  Many school districts will not provide for more costly technology platforms, or even provide their teachers training.  Schools in low socio-economic areas are also less likely to have access to higher-priced technology than their peers. 

Another major con is that technology can be distracting.  Almost every student has been preoccupied with their phones during the school day at one point or another.  School districts, administrators and teachers all struggle with drawing the line between technology as a help or hindrance.  One student, Gaby Robertson said that while computers weren’t that much of a distraction, she “can understand people who feel that they are.” Oftentimes, students are more tech-savvy than their teachers, allowing them to possibly bypass firewalls and access materials that are not monitored by the school.  

So, what do you think? Should the school system continue to integrate technology into the classroom even though there is a risk of distraction to students? Help or hindrance, you decide.